VETERANS REPORT FOR FIRST GRID PRACTICE

DALY BEGINS ACTIVE WORK AS BACKFIELD COACH

Of the more than 100 men who reported for the first workout of the spring football season yesterday, eight were letter men and more than 30 were veterans of the University and Freshman teams of last fall. These men whose abilities are known have been formed into one squad.

Coach Knox, who is in charge of the remainder of the men, plans careful checking on each man's ability.

The letter men who reported are Captain M. A. Cheek '26, C. D. Coady '27, J. R. Dean '27, E. F. Gamache '27, George Hoague '26, C. M. Linder '27, O. H. Miller '27, Madison Sayles '27.

Coady was enabled by the rest day allowed the baseball team to attend the first spring football practice. Miller and Sayles, who are occupied with track, will give three days a week to each sport. A H. Stafford '26, and J. R. Fordyce '26, letter men, and B. L. Kilgour '27, member of last year's squad, will report for the first time today.

During the practice yesterday Major C. D. Daly '01 entered strenuously upon his first practice with the teams, coaching the backfield men in passing and handling the ball. Coach Knox instructed the centers and linemen and Coach Leary directed the ends. After separate practice had been given the various groups, they were brought together to run through a few simple formations.

The squad was divided after the short joint practice and Coach Knox took charge of 70 men whom he will coach as the second team.