AMONG THE MINORS

Harvard's indoor athletic equipment grows more and more inadequate, but improvement seems quite as far off as ever. While it is not to be expected that the University should make great sacrifices for athletics, it ought nevertheless be true that no form of sport should be consistently hampered through inferior facilities for practice.

A generation or more ago the Hemenway Gymnasium was an object of pride and amply served the needs of the University of its time. Since then the college and the graduate schools have grown enormously. The capacity of the gymnasium is now taxed to the utmost, while the facilities offered are in many cases antiquated and unsatisfactory. The small size of the basketball court furnishes an excellent example of this.

The University swimming team long since a died a natural death because of the lack of an adequate pool. Despite the fact that over a year has passed since the Athletic Association announced that it possessed funds enough to construct a swimming pool, nothing has been done to remedy the situation. The baseball team has been forced to spend their long period of spring practice in a small and badly planned cage. Plans were made public for a new cage on Soldiers Field which was to have been completed this spring, but of this, too, no more has been heard.

Certainly the increased attendance at football games has not diminished the surplus which formerly accrued to the Athletic Association each year. It can not be the lack of funds that prevents the building of a new gymnasium, swimming pool, or baseball cage. The reasons for this postponement would interest the undergraduates.