BLUE FRESHMAN CREW TAKES RANK AS FIRST

HAINES PLEASED WITH SMOOTH OARSMANSHIP

The first attempt at comparing the five Freshman crews which now comprise the first squad was made on Saturday, when an informal race resulted in a decided victory for the Blue crew.

Coach Haines was pleased particularly by the smoothness of the rowing. "It was a fine showing," he declared, "for no one to have broken an oar or caught a crab. With all the inexperienced men on the crews, I was certainly surprised to have all the boats get off on the first start. In past years, we have had three and four starts in races as early in the season as this."

Radical changes will be made in all boats during the week based on the showings of the crews in the race. The Blue crew, however, will probably not be shifted radically. It was by far the smoothest boat, and Watts at stroke kept the stroke low, beginning at 28 and falling back to a 24 or 25 during the balance of the race.

The line-up of the winning Blue crew was as follows: Stroke, Watts; 7, Saltonstall; 6, Roberts; 5, Hitchcock; 4, Fox; 3, Gierasch; 2, Canfield; bow, Winthrop; cox., Pforzheimer.