TRACK MEN PREPARING FOR M. I. T. CONTEST

FRESHMEN TO ENGAGE M. I. T. 1928 TEAM ON SATURDAY

With the first track meet of the season which will test the University runners as a team looming up only a day away, Coach Farrell is putting his track and field candidates through a week of the most strenuous training that has been held in the Stadium this season. He believes that the meet with M. I. T. on Saturday will be far from a practice affair for the Crimson. M. I. T. was badly beaten by Princeton last week but its showing against the Tigers revealed some individual athletes who should furnish stiff competition. The most formidable of these probably is Leness, the Engineer 880-yard man, who took first place against a big field at Princeton. In the recent Pennsylvania relays, be was timed for his leg of the medley relay race in 1.54 4-5 seconds, an exceptionally fast time.

Against Leness in the 880 will be Watters, who won the intercollegiate half mile event last year. Their race is expected to be the feature of the afternoon. Another M. I. T. distance runner who should prove dangerous will be Jeppe, who lost to Drews at Princeton by inches after the latter had turned in record time.

The Freshmen, who will meet M. I. T. on the same afternoon, are also being put through a strenuous program for the week.