NEW FACULTY BOARD TO HAVE FRESHMEN AS SOLE ADVISEES

Group of 60 Headed by Professor Ward Will Concentrate on Individuals

A new departure in the matter of helping new students to adjust themselves to college conditions is the appointment this year of a special Faculty Board of Freshman Advisors. This Board consists of some 60 picked members of the Faculty who will have no advisees other than Freshmen. The chairman of the Board is Professor R. C. Ward, Professor of Climatology. G. W. Cram, '88, Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, is acting secretary and will supervise the office of the Board in University Hall. The Board met as a unit last May to discuss the special problems in the advising of Freshmen and will meet again shortly after the beginning of the college year.

In the past, with Freshmen scattered among a large number of faculty advisers as well, not as much attention could be devoted to the individual problems of the first year men as the new system will now make possible. Advice will be based on knowledge and understanding of the individual rather than on a formal interpretation of academic regulations.

It is due principally to the efforts of Assistant Dean E. A. Whitney '17, that this step has been made possible. Dean Whitney and Dean Elliott Perkins, '23, have charge of the Freshman Class and of the proctors in the Freshman Halls. They will also direct the Board of Freshman Advisors.

The ney Faculty Board will act in conjunction with the Board of Student Advisors, headed by J. A. Halsted '26. Freshmen have already been notified of their advisors, both Faculty and Student, and are expected to hold conferences with both before filing their study cards.