STUDENT WAITERS GIVEN TRIAL IN GORE BY DALY

REMUNERATION TO BE $4 WEEKLY AND FREE MEALS

The revival of a system of student waiters which will go into effect this fall is one of the signal steps inaugurated under the regime of W. W. Daly '14, Secretary for Student Employment. The new system, while its development is to be gradual, will provide material enlargement of the opportunity for men to earn their way through college, should it prove successful.

Waiters to Serve Under Wescott

Gore Hall will be the scene of the trial. From 30 to 35 student waiters will be employed from the beginning of the year. Applicants for the position of waiters will be selected and employed by R. L. Westcott, Superintendent of Dining Halls, from those candidates recommended by Mr. Daly, to whom application should be made. It is understood that on the success of student waiters in Gore Hall, over a period of six months or so, will depend their continuance in Gore Hall and the extension of the same system to other Freshman Dormitories, and elsewhere in the University.

Work Arranged to Fit Schedules

The men will work three days a week, either on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. They will in addition work on alternate Sundays. These days are arranged to enable each man who has a heavy schedule on three days a week to follow out his schedule, and at the same time earn a portion of his expenses through student waiting. It is expected that men will not take many courses on the days on which they work, but it will be possible to do some academic work, as outlined below.

The compensation for student waiting will consist of meals on the day when a man is employed, and a bi-weekly payment of $8.00 in cash. It is expected that on the days when men are not employed as waiters they will provide for their own meals at such times and places as may be convenient. It is not expected that they will eat at the dining halls, as they would be forced to pay so-called transient rates.

Nearly Five Hours Free Daily

Men will be expected to be present at the dining hall from 6.30 to 8.55 for breakfast; 11.50 to 1.55 for luncheon, and 5.00 to 7.30 for dinner. The first half hour in each case will be the time when the men themselves will eat. During the remainder of the time they will be engaged in waiting on table and in doing such cleaning up and resetting of tables as may be necessary. On the days when men are employed, it will be possible for them to attend lectures at 9.00 and 10.00 o'clock. It will also be possible for them to do any work from 2.00 to 4.30, including large courses such as English A, Laboratory work, which is usually at afternoon hours, or any other activities which may be desirable.

Business Methods Will Govern Work

It is expected that the waiters will at all times during their employment be subject to the discipline customary with any good business organization. Punctuality and efficiency are obligatory. Each man undertaking the work will be expected to continue for the academic year in which he is employed. In cases of extreme emergency, men may be excused at the pleasure of the Superintendent of Dining Halls, or his Assistant, but it is not expected that there will be any substitution except for matters of grave necessity.

Men desiring positions as student waiters should apply to the Secretary for Student Employment. They will be recommended for employment by the Secretary to the Superintendent of Dining Halls, whose decision on hiring or non-hiring will be final. Their continuance of employment at all times will be subject to the approval of the Superintendent and his Assistants, the Steward and the Captain.