EARLIER PUBLICATION WOULD HELP REGISTER

RECOMMENDS APPOINTMENT OF PERMANENT ADVISOR

Mr. J. W. D. Seymour '17, Secretary of the University for Information, approved the plan advocated by the CRIMSON for an earlier Register, in a statement to a CRIMSON reporter last night.

"I believe that it is both practicable and desirable for the University Register to be published very much earlier in the fall of each year than has been done this fall. In most ways I approve the plan set forth in the CRIMSON for this purpose. A committee might be appointed annually to take charge of the gathering and editing of material but I think it would be advisable for the committee to have a permanent advisor or honorary chairman who might or might not be an officer of the University. If this were done the committee would be able to avoid much of the slowness and difficulty in handling the work, which would be inevitable if no member had previously done Register work.

Work Could Begin in Spring

"Under this system work for the 1926-1927 Register might well be undertaken in the spring. All data could be compiled as far as possible leaving only the necessary changes in club rosters and dormitory lists for the fall. The advertising might also be arranged for in the spring, since the Register is not a financial venture I see no reason for putting off its publication in order to get a few more advertisements.

"The Student Council is to be congratulated on its continuance of the Register but it seems obvious that if the book is to realize its highest sphere of usefulness it should be published as early as possible.

"I do not think it advisable to omit the Graduate Schools from the Register.

"This year's issue, apart from its tardiness in appearing, seems very satisfactory from many points of view. The improvement in the dormitory lists is highly creditable and the increase in advertising is well worth while."