"Die Walkure" Billed for Harvard Night With Chicago Opera Company Tonight--Brunnhilde Likes College Men

Tonight at 7.30 o'clock the curtain will rise at the Boston Opera House on "Die Walkure," the Harvard Night production for 1926. The opera, which has long been a favorite with Boston audiences, is always sure to draw a full house and with the cooperation of the University Music Department the Chicago Civic Company is doubly sure of a record breaking audience. The ticket agencies are already sold out and there is every indication that even the standing room quota will be filled.

Cyrena Van Gordon who is to sing the role of Brunnhilde this evening stated yesterday to a CRIMSON reporter that she preferred to sing before an audience composed of college students that before any others.

Critics and Society Pall

"When I stand before an audience of young men and women I always feel that I can sing far better than at other times" said Miss Van Cordon. "If the audience is full of society which is only there in order to see who else has come and gloomy music critics who feel they must say fearful things about the performance in order to keep their reputation with the public, I always feel depressed. It's an up hill job. If society isn't listening and critics let it all in one ear and out the other while they listen to what the lady in the row behind is saying it is no use attempting to sing. On the other hand when it is obvious that the orchestra and balconies are filled by college students I am sure that the performance will be a success. The college boys have no ulterior reasons for coming. If they pay to take their friends to the theatre it is because they expect to enjoy themselves, and knowing that, the singers are able to give of their best."

When interviewed Miss Van Gordon received the CRIMSON reporter in state. As a result of a slight cold she caught yesterday morning when arriving in Boston she was confined to her bed by doctor's orders and was surrounded by a mountainous mass of blankets, counterpanes and pillows. A little pomeranian was playing just out of arm's reach with the paper wrapping around a huge box of candy which had evidently been sent by an admirer. At Miss Van Gordon's request the reporter placed the dog on the floor and then asked whether the star liked to play in Wagnerian roles.

Likes German Operatic Roles

"Brunnhilde is one of my favorites," said Miss Van Gordon. "For me there are a beauty and depth to the Wagner operas which are seldom touched and never sustained by the composers from other countries. I am myself an American and I dislike the bigotry which would classify music and art by nationalities, but it seems to me that some of the German musicians have more sincerity of feeling and less regard for superficialities than the French and Italians.

"Don't misinterpret me by saying that I don't like French and Italian operas. In the old favorites of Meyerbeer, Verdi and Rossini there is an appeal which no lover of music can resist. All three composers attain moments of depth. Nevertheless when I want music which I know will have the effect of satisfying me completely I turn to Wagner. I love the Ring of the Nigbelingen and am never quite certain which individual opera stands foremost in my affections. 'Die Walkure', judging from the number of times it has been produced, is probably the popular favorite. The role of Brunnhilde is a beautiful one. Other singers than the great Johanna Gadski have attained fame in it."

The reporter left after receiving complete assurance from Miss Van Gordon that her slight indisposition would not prevent her from singing tonight.