NORTH POLE AVIATOR TO SPEAK HERE NEXT WEEK

WILL ILLUSTRATE WITH MOVING PICTURES OF FLIGHT

Experiences of the adventurers on the Navy-MacMillan Arctic Expedition last summer will be described by Lt. Commander Richard Byrd Jr. G. '17, in the Living Room of the Union on Thursday evening, January 14, at 7.30 o'clock.

Commander Byrd was in charge of the three Loening Amphibian planes which were to have flown to the North Pole from Etah, MacMillan's northernmost land base. He will show moving pictures taken on that expedition particularly illustrating the handling of the planes; one reel having been taken entirely in the air.

The talk will continue the Union's series of "sport movies" and will be held jointly with the Harvard Flying Club, whose President, R. H. Jackson '26, will introduce the speaker.

The Union speaker for this week, as announced, is Albert Mansbridge, founder of the British Workers Educational Association, who will talk on the present labor conditions in England, at 7.30 o'clock tomorrow evening.

Mr. Mansbridge holds honorary degrees from Oxford, Cambridge, and Manchester, and has for years been closely identified with the movement to improve the position of Labor. He is on his way to California to give a series of lectures there, and is making a special trip to Cambridge for this talk.

That Dwight F. Davis '00, Secretary of War in the United States Cabinet, will not be able to speak at the Union this year contrary to expectations, was announced yesterday. His letter to the management states in part:

"I had hoped that I might be able to accept your invitation to go to Cambridge for a meeting of the Harvard Union. I find, however, that it will be impossible . . . Owing to important military legislation pending in the Senate and House of Representatives. I have decided that I will not accept invitations that would take me away from Washington while Congress is in session.