CRIMSON FACES HARD BATTLE ON ARENA ICE

Wing Is Canadian's Big Stick--Plaxton Has Uncanny Poke-Check--Sullivan at Goal Has Passed but Two Shots

The Toronto hockey team, with six seasoned veterans and an imposing record of victories behind them, will rule favorite tonight at the opening face-off against the University skaters in the Boston Arena at 8.15 o'clock.

In seven contests between the two teams during past years, the Varsity sextet has been victorious in five and the Crimson puck chasers have captured two.

Last year with the odds heavily against them, the University stickmen opened up a dazzling and unexpected defense, which left the Northerners on the short end of the 2 to 1 count. This was the first victory for the Crimson ice team over Toronto since 1913 when the Varsity was defeated by a 2 to 0 score.

Hopes for a University victory suffered a blow with the announcement last night that Gross, veteran left wing, may not be able to start tonight because of illness. Gross has been suffering from a severe cold. In case he is not sufficiently recovered, Harding will probably be at his post in the opening line-up. The latter has been used in every game as a reserve forward, and in the McGill game scored one of the four goals.

Cumings was Vital Factor Last Year

Captain Cumings of this year's squad was largely responsible for the 1925 win, stopping 30 hard drives from the sticks of the invaders. Pratt, another veteran who will face the Varsity for the second time tomorrow night, also aided greatly in presenting an impregnable defense to the Toronto forwards.

In Hudson and Kirkpatrick at the wing parts and Plaxton at center the Canadians have a fast skating and dangerous offensive combination. Hudson, the chief scoring threat, is fast and unusually clever in stick work. He has the advantage of several seasons of collegiate experience behind him and is rated as a cool and consistent as well as a brilliant performer. Kirkpatrick, is a finished skater and ranks with Hudson as a stick handler, although not quite as fast or as dangerous a shot.

Toronto Strongest in Defense

At center the Canadians have a good roving pivot. He has an uncanny trick of opposing attacks with a deceptive poke-check. At defense Toronto has two effective and apparently tireless skaters. Both have played in every game without a relief. Porter is rangy and the fastest man on the Varsity squad. When he takes the puck he is the hardest man to stop, and almost invariably carries it the length of the ice. Porter is additionally valuable for he is rarely off his feet, being more than ordinarily clever at jumping sticks Wright at right defense does not stand out but is equally as effective at stopping opposing runs. He is also a seasoned veteran of several years experience.

Although a dangerous scoring team the Toronto six is strongest in defense. Captain Sullivan is credited as being the best cage guardian to have performed in the Arena this year. He gives his overworked defense men much needed rests by warding off numberless shots which seem certain to reach their mark. The Toronto attack has netted it 29 goals in four games, while only two men have been able to pass Sullivan.