THE CHAIR OF COOKERY

If Senator Copeland's latest inspiration becomes translated into reality, the American epicure trade will take on an entirely new and novel aspect. Senator Copeland, believing in the ultimate victory of restaurants over private kitchens, has suggested that a Chair of Cookery be installed in American Universities for the betterment of American restaurant food.

It is fitting that this serious problem should receive recognition. Not only from a food connoisseur's point of view, but also from a national stand-point, the situation is grave. Restaurant chefs have had the American public under their domineering and dictatory sway long enough, the docile American has allowed himself to be tyrannized by foreign lords, disguised as cooks.

This tyranny will end with the appearance of the college graduate who has concentrated in cooking. The Greek or French cook will come out of the kitchen; gone will be the cry of "black and tan" or the hoarse shout of "sea-goings". In their stead, American language, as spoken in our best colleges, will be heard in restaurants. Culture will take the place of anarchy; America will succeed in the kitchen just as it has succeeded elsewhere; foreign competition will stand no show beside the learned and cultured American college cook. The higher education will have gained another victory.