CRIMSON HARRIERS CRUSH CRUSADERS

Time Is Unusually Fast as University Wins 21 to 34 and First Year Men Are Victors, 26 to 32

In a very fast race for the early part of the season, the University cross country team won its initial meet yesterday 21 to 34 from the Holy Cross harriers. The victory was somewhat unexpected as the Harvard line-up contained only four experienced men.

L. J. Novogrod '27 one of last year's veterans crossed the finish line first, closely followed by J. L. Reid '29, a Sophomore running his first cross-country race. George Murphy of Holy Cross, Captain E. C. Haggerty '27, and Captain Mc Namara of Holy Cross followed in the order named. The time for the five mile run was 29-minutes and 35 seconds.

Dooley and Lee in Dead Heat

The Freshmen also made a good showing yesterday afternoon as W. G. Dooley '30 and G. B. Lee '30 sprinted across at the finish in a dead heat. Three Crusader first year men trailed them, but the Freshmen placed four out of the next five and won the meet 26 to 32. The time, 18 minutes and 23 seconds for a three and a half mile course, guarantees an exceptionally strong Freshman team.

Stebbing Leads Harriers

A special feature of the afternoon was a time-trial run for all the cross country candidates not on the first team. This race was bitterly contested and was won at the end by H. D. Stebbins '27 with a fine burst of speed. His time was 30 minutes and 50 seconds for the five mile course. Robert Fienberg '28, T. E. Walcott '28, W. R. Driver '29, and W. P. Wadsworth '29, followed in the stated order.

Winning the Holy Cross meet makes the outlook for the Crimson cross country season extremely auspicious. The Crusaders are rated as a strong team and before the race were favored to win.