MILTON FUND WILL DISTRIBUTE $39,000

Medical, Geographical, Historical, and Scientific Investigation Sponsored--Jewett Presides

Invitations to apply for aid from the Milton Fund for Research have been sent by President Lowell to all members of the instructing, scientific, and administrative staffs of the University. All requests for aid in investigation from the Fund must be received before January 19, 1927. No allotments will be made for more than two years, but if an investigation proves to require a longer period, any application for the renewal of the grant expiring in the current academic year should also be received before January 10.

About $39,000 is still available for award in the coming year. The annual income is about $50,000, and of this amount almost $11,000 has been assigned in varying amounts.

W. F. Milton '58 Established Fund

The Milton Fund was established under the will of the late W. F. Milton '58, as an incentive and aid to investigation and research. The specific purpose of the grants is "To help defray the expenses of any special investigation of a medical, geographical, historical, or scientific capture it, the interests of or for promoting, the physical and material welfare and prosperity of the human race: or to assist in the discovery and perfecting of any special means of alleviating or curing human disease, or to investigate and determine the value or importance of any discovery or invention, or for any other special or temporary object of the nature above stated."

In order to obtain the greatest diversity of opinion in the awarding of the bequests, the Harvard Corporation appoints each year a committee to advise it in making a selection among the investigations proposed and in the allotment of the incomes to conduct them.

F. B. Jewett, electrical engineer of New York, will preside over the Committee that will aid in the awarding of this year's grants, and the other members are Professor E. F. Gay, of the University Economics Department, and Dr. W. J. V. Osterhout, distinguished botanist, formerly of the University.