THE TWAIN MEET IN STANFORD DEBATE

Debaters to Stage Exhibition Argument at Exeter--Bates Will Be Opponent in Unusual Contest Before School

Final arrangements were completed yesterday for a debate on January 6, 1927 between the University and Leland Stanford, according to announcement made by F. W. P. Lorenzen-28, President of the Harvard Debating Council. This will be the first debate in the history of the University between a Pacific coast team and Harvard The subject for debate is "Resolved: "That we have more to lear than to hope from science." Harvard will take the affirmative while the Westerners will present the negative.

Leland Stanford will debate. Yale, Princeton, and Columbia in addition to Harvard on its trip through the East.

All those to whom participation in this forensic contest is interesting should prepare a three minute speech on either side of the question as announced above. The affirmative of this topic affords an excellent opportunity for brilliant' logic and witty repartee. The meeting of the candidates will be held in Harvard 6 at 7.30 o'clock, Monday evening. Three speakers and an alternate will be selected so form the University team. If enough candidates turn out, six speakers and two alternates will be chosen.

The second group of debaters will face the orators of Bates College in an exhibition debate at Exeter on the week following the Leland Stanford contest.

Exeter has been selected as the scene of the Harvard-Bates debate so that interest in debating may be revived in the various preparatory schools in the vicinity. The question for the oratorical clash between the Crimson and Bates has not yet been definitely settled. Negotiations are now pending and it is expected that the debaters will argue on the same subject as that of the Leland Stanford debate.

A little over a month after the encounter with Bates, the University will take part in the second round of the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League's debates. On February 26, there will be a triangular meet with Wesleyan and Brown. The final round, the one which will decide the intercollegiate Championship, will be held on March 25 with Yale and Princeton.

Last year, the University won the championship with three victories. The present Crimson team gives promise of repeating the extraordinary success of last year.

It has already won two debates, one against Amherst by a 3 to 1 vote and the second over Dartmouth by a unanimous decision. The subjects for the second and third rounds of the intercollegiate world war have not, as yet, been agreed upon they will be made public about one month before the debate is held.

An unusual feature on this year's debating schedule is a trip through the Middle West. The Harvard orators will debate in Pittsburgh several cities of lowa, Grinell, and Cranston.