INDIVIDUAL DEVELOPMENT STRESSED IN FALL ROWING

University Squad to Play Off Squash Tournament -- Crew Work Starts Again After Midyears

Fall crew, under Coach E. P. Brown '96, has been progressing steadily. The new "system" has divided the University squad into A and B crews, the A outfit having a slight edge.

Emphasis this fall has been placed on individual development, Coach Brown explained, and a distinctive departure from former coaching is the races which have been from one to three and one half miles in length. In addition, first and second University crews will not be picked until some time in April.

Beginning with the Christmas vacation the University men will have a lay-off until after midyears, during which time they will play a squash tournament. After midyears they will begin to train three times a week.

The Freshman crews will continue their present program of rowing five times a week until midyears.

Coach Brown, who took over the crew helm this fall, believes that if men are able to grasp fundamentals in thorough fashion, it is an easy matter then to shake them together into definite lineups. In other words he intends to develop his material first and name his line-ups when he knows what that material amounts to. This is not a radical departure in coaching, but a twist new enough to cause the focussing of a certain amount of attention on his efforts next spring.