CRIMSON BALL TOSSERS SMOTHER RHODE ISLAND

BOOTH LETS LOSERS DOWN WITH SEVEN HITS

Lamont's offerings proved no mystery to the Crimson stickers, who hit the Rhode Island State pitching freely and aided by the wobbly support in the invading infield, pounded out a 10 to 2 win on Soldiers' Field yesterday afternoon. The game was called in the eighth because of darkness with University runners on the paths and no outs. Booth was Coach Mitchell's twirling choice, and the Crimson right hander travelled the full distance with good support from his mates in the field.

The University nine started fast and played smooth ball until Booth got in a hole in the seventh, when errors in judgment allowed the visitors to chase over their first counter. The Crimson batters touched the Rhode Island pitcher for 12 hits while Booth was holding the losing artillery to seven blows, six of which were bunched in the last two sessions.

Sullivan, the Crimson short stop, led the sluggers of both nines with three safe hits. Burns, Ellison, Lord, and Chauncey each collected two safeties during the afternoon. Burns, the University speed merchant, who has been holding down the center field berth and leading the batting order was forced to retire in the second after injuring his leg stealing second. The flashy fly chaser opened the game with a single, and on his second appearance beat out a bunt.

With the University leading by three runs in the last of the fifth, Captain Todd opened the inning with a solid triple over the head of the left fielder. The hit could have been stretched to a circuit blow but the Crimson leader was held at third. Lord hit a hard ground ball and when the short stop juggled it, Todd scored and the University first sacker was safe at first. Lord scored on Sullivan's scratch hit through the infield. In the sixth, three hits, a base on balls and two errors gave the winners four tallies. Zarakov walked, Ellison sacrificed him to second. Todd was given life on a hard hit ball to short stop, while the University third sacker was scoring. Lord singled and Sullivan tripled on a long high wallop over the center fielders head. Scoring Todd and Lord ahead of him. The Crimson short stop crossed the plate on the same play when the throw to third went wide.

The losers counted in the next session when Lamont was passed and LaChapelle and mcKenxic hit safely. In the first of the eighth the Rhode Island ball tossers scored another run on hits by Draghetti and Stevens.

Zarakov turned in a pair of sparkling plays on ground balls to the hot corner and the remainder of the Crimson inner defense gave tight support in the field. The visiting garden trio shone brightly while the infielders were messing up everything they touched. Asher robbed Ellison of a triple in the fourth when he gathered in his long drive after a hard run.

The following is the summary:

HARVARDa.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns c.f.  2  1  2  0  0  0Zarakov 3b.  2  2  0  0  2  1Ellison r.f.  4  1  2  0  0  0Todd l.f.  3  2  1  3  0  0Lord 1b.  5  2  2  8  0  0Ullman 2b.  3  0  0  3  2  0Sullivan s.s.  5  2  3  2  5  1Chauncey c.  5  0  2  5  0  0Booth p.  4  0  0  2  2  0Jones c.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0Total  32  10  12  24  12  2RHODE ISLAND STATEBlake 3b.  4  0  1  1  0  0Draghetti l.f.,  4  1  1  2  0  1Stevens s.s.  4  0  1  1  0  2Grigo c.f.  4  0  0  5  0  0Lamont p.  3  1  0  1  1  1La Chapelle 1b.  4  0  1  5  0  2Erickson 2b.  2  0  1  2  1  0McKenzie c.  3  0  1  4  0  0Asher r.f.  3  0  1  2  0  0Zischonski r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0Total  31  2  7  23  2