OF INTERNAL INTEREST

In today's CRIMSON appears the first of a series of articles covering the Graduate Schools. In subject matter, they are self-explanatory. They will interest the students of these Schools, prospective student, and also, without doubt, other men who care to realize what the University contains. Not too many students are acquainted with the minor graduate schools, or deeply acquainted with the major ones. But both for themselves and because they are in some slight measure subject to the same conditions as the College, these schools rather deserve attention.

From incentives most narrowly collegiate, it is of advantage to know where in the process of education, the Graduate Schools seek to begin. This knowledge very obviously bears on the question of where college work should end. The point is of universal debate. At Johns Hopkins, it has been solved by lowering the reaches of graduate education. But as a solution, this hardly ends the debate.

Yet apart from the substance of these papers, stands the method of their presentation. It illustrates a now common thesis, oft reiterated, yet still deserving repetition, if only to show the variety of its applications. Today's article dealing with the School of Education consists of two parts presented with equal respect as representing equally valid viewpoints. The one part is written by a faculty member; the other by a student Readers will, of course, value one above the other if they find them conflicting. Indeed, no great insight is required to discern what subjects the one or the other will prove the more authoritative. But it is likely to be discovered that teacher and student concur and supplement more often than they conflict.

The principle, however, does not depend upon agreement. It depends upon the theory that whether beliefs concur supplement, or conflict, they are all of value if put fairly forward: that belief disdained and flouted becomes antagonistic and destructive: that belief listened to tends to become considered and responsible.

The discussions of the Graduate Schools carry thus with them two clear purposes to commend them. In the one guise, they are informative. In the other they are published in the interests of the co-operative college.