Unknown Poet Pays Memorial Day Visit to Widener Leaving Wreath and Verses Under Sargent Canvas

An anonymous contribution to the literature in and of the University was made yesterday by a bard who has masked his real identity under the pseudonym "Silver Star." The contributed bit of poetry was found framed on the ledge underneath one of the Sargent paintings in Widener Library in the company of a wreath also anonymously presented. The Library authorities have been unable to find out the identity of the donor or donors and no statement has been made with regard to the permanent position of the two gifts.

The poem follows:

IN MEMORIAM

Soldiers Have Asked at Evening

Great God . . . I tall . . . I die . . . Thy blinding light has struck mine eyes. I stagger on the bloody field. . . . Death . . . Horrid death demands I yield.

I trample on a mother's son . . . Her blood my bayonet has warmed Great God I ask respite . . . But victory and death have won the fight.

I hear the winding of aerial horns Thicken the air I gasp to breathe . . . I clinch twin burdens to my fading cinder breast.

Forth from a heart too faltering A question . . . Strains the Ancient lips . . . I ask . . . Great God . . . how long will mankind mark thy choral strain With groans of agouizing pain . . . And turn to ashes thy parental song!"