Freshman Race is Cancelled as Six Yale Men Are Barred

Six Men on Crew Disqualified for Cheating--Bingham to go to Red Top Today

New Haven, Conn., June 16--Owing to the fact that six men on the Yale Freshman crew were placed on probation today for cheating at the final examinations, Dean Clarence Mendell, communicating with the Harvard Athletic Association tonight, suggested that the Freshman race be forfeited to Harvard.

It was also suggested that the Harvard Freshman crew take part in the regular race for Junior University eights.

The disqualification of the six Yale crew men came as a result of violations of the honor system at Gales Ferry, Dean Mendell said. The men, whose names were not made public, were placed on probation for one year.

Dean Mendell's statement, in full, follows:

"At a special meeting of the Executive Committee of the Board of Control of the Yale University Athletic Association held on June 16, notification was received from the Dean of Freshmen of the approval of the recommendations of the Freshman Student Discipline Committee on the Honor System, concerning six cases of violations of the honor system by members of the Yale Freshman crew during the Final Examinations held at Gales Ferry. The men involved admitted their violation of the honor system. In accordance with the action recommended and adopted, they have been placed on immediate probation until the close of the academic year 1926-27, with consequent disqualification from athletic competitions.

"The uniform practice of the Yale University Athletic Association is to sustain all decisions, by the Faculties concerned, relative to the scholastic standing and the conduct of students who are candidates for athletic teams.

"The Yale Athletic Association has expressed to Harvard its readiness to assemble if possible, a Freshman crew; but in view of the fact that college examinations have been concluded and the members of the Freshman class have already left New Haven, it was suggested to Harvard as perhaps a possible alternative, to consider the regular Freshman race as forfeited by Yale, and to ask the Harvard Freshman crew to participate in the Harvard-Yale Junior University event.

"The Executive Committee considers the awarding of numerals to members of the Freshman crew squad at Gales Ferry who are not involved by the present action."