THIS CHAPEL QUESTION

Various and many have been the comments voiced in and about the Yard concerning this edifice which is to rise in memory of the Harvard men who lost their lives in the lost war. And recently there has been much criticism directed against the CRIMSON because no editorial comment has suggested to the world at large that the CRIMSON, as well as a majority of the student body, has as little desire to see this architectural point in space a part of the traditional idiosyncrasies of the Yard as it has to see Revere Beach a national park.

Let it be known then that the CRIMSON has no liking whatsoever for this proposed chapel. It is ugly and it is not consonant with the immediate desires of the student body. The only reason why the CRIMSON has been slow to speak is that there is possessed here a certain belief that looking before leaping is a sane policy.

As soon as it is possible the CRIMSON will publish a collection of opinions of Harvard graduates and of architects of creditable standing on the proposed monolith. These will be offered as expressions of sane thinking men with real and valid interest in Harvard and in art. From them far better than from any group of casual undergraduates can come the proper criticism of the chapel. Until it is possible thus to reveal a definitely constructive criticism of the idea of the chapel and the form in which that idea is now expressed the CRIMSON sees no cogent reason for voicing the obvious.