FALL ROWING TO BE ORGANIZED TODAY

Seven Week Competition Begins at 1.05 O'clock--Three Posts Will Fall to Successful Candidates

When Coach E. J. Brown '14, takes the floor at 5 o'clock this afternoon in the Smith Halls common room, the fall rowing season will be officially inaugurated. Although crews have taken the water several times already, they have not had any coaching as Coach Brown's first official appearance on the river will not take place until Monday.

All candidates for rowing from the upper three classes, including aspirants to the 150-pound crew, are called to the meeting at 5 o'clock this afternoon. All Freshmen interested in rowing will assemble at 7 o'clock tonight in the Smith Halls common room.

Director Bingham to Speak

The speakers at the University crew squad meeting will be Coach Brown, Captain Geoffrey Platt '27, W. J. Bingham 16 Director of Athletics, and Delmar Leighton '19. At this time Coach Brown will expound the details of his plans for fall rowing. It is already known that he has decided to pick no University crew this fall, even provisionally. Veteran oarsmen will be scattered through the boats in an effort to distribute the strength as much as possible. The purpose of this innovation, Coach Brown explained, is to bring out the possibilities of new men. The lineups will be constantly changed and no group of men will be segregated as possible first crew material.

Freshmen Will Hear Haines

At the Freshman meeting tonight, Coach Haines will speak, followed by Captain Platt. From present indications, there will be a large turn-out from the class of 1930.

The crew managerial competition will get under way today when all prospective candidates assemble at 1.05 o'clock in the H. A. A. Sophomores are eligible to compete and will be out for approximately seven weeks. The winner will be appointed second assistant manager, subject to the ratification of the Athletic Committee, and will become assistant manager in his Junior, and manager in his Senior year. Besides the second assistant manager, two other managerial posts will be bestowed on Sophomore candidates, these are the 150-pound crew manager and the class crew manager, each of whom will receive his class numerals, by a ruling in effect for this year only. Each of the two will make one trip to Red Top.

Coaches Meet This Afternoon

The first official meeting of the crew coaches will take place this afternoon at 3 o'clock in the Newell boathouse. Coaches Brown and Haines, compose the entire crew coaching staff at present, but the announcement of the assistant coaches is expected daily from the Athletic Committee.

The 150-pound eights will row separately this fall. The successor of Coach Newell will probably be named in time to call out the light weight boats for practice by Monday.