FOR VISITING PROFESSORS

The Alumni Bulletin very rightly characterized the rumor that President Eliot's house was to be bought by the University for the use of distinguished professors as "a delightful possibility--and more than that, a realization that Harvard will do well to strengthen its resources in the way of making things happy and comfortable for its academic visitors."

No permanent memorial to the late President Emeritus could be more fitting or more useful. Professor Gilbert Murray, it might be pointed out, first rented an apartment and then stayed with a private family. Charming as the latter may be, it can hardly be considered suitable that distinguished scholars should not be provided with proper living quarters of their own. This need President Eliot's house would fill to the utmost for obvious reasons.

Happily, the rumor commented upon by the Alumni Bulletin is well founded. Mr. Seymour, Secretary to the University for Information, was quoted last evening in the Transcript to the effect that the University had no plan whatsoever to purchase President Eliot's house. This to say the least, is misleading. There is a definite move, set on foot by several graduates, to give money to the University for the purchase. It is for that, and that reason only, that the house has not yet been sold. It is inconceivable that a plan which has so many delightful angles will not be carried to its fruition.