HARVARD FUND COUNCIL HOLDS FIRST MEETING OF YEAR AT HARVARD CLUB

CLASS AGENTS WILL HAVE FIRST MEETING JANUARY 25

At the Harvard Fund Council's first slated meeting of the year held at the Harvard Club of Boston last night, a tribute was paid to the late J.W. Hallowell '01. It was announced that Chester C. Bolton '05 of Cleveland, Ohio, had been appointed a member of the Council in place of the late C.C. Stillman '09, noted benefactor to the University, who died last summer.

Howard Elliott '81, President of the Council, presided. The following men were present at the meeting: H.L. Clark '87, A.T. Perkins '87, vice-president, T.W. Slocum '90, E. Hollisher '97, E.H. Wells '97, L.P. Marvin '98, J.W. Prentiss '98, Eliot Wadsworth '98, B.H. Dibblee '99, N.F. Ayer '00, J.P. Jones '02, J.R. Hamlen '04, Chairman of the Executive Committee, John Richardson '08, S.D. Warren '08, H.C. Clark '11, Leverett Saltonstall '14, vice-president, J.W.D. Seymour '17, and D.T.W. McCord '21, acting executive secretary.

Marvin Is Reader

The following minute on the death of J.W. Hallowell '01, a member of the Harvard Fund Council and Agent for his Class, was read by L.P. Marvin:

"The Harvard Fund Council meets tonight under the shadow of the loss of John White Hallowell, of the Class of 1901, who died on January 5, 1927. He was one of the original members of the Council appointed to serve until 1930 and since the inception of the Fund had been one of its most loyal supporters and helpful administrators. His loss, not only to the Harvard Fund but to Harvard interests generally is irreparable. Few Harvard graduates had shown such zeal for Harvard service combined with such intelligent devotion. The Harvard offices which he held at the time of his death constitute in themselves almost a complete catalogue of Harvard Alumni activities: a member of the Board of Overseers of Harvard College, elected last June for a second full term of six years; President of the Associated Harvard Clubs; a Director of the Harvard Alumni Association and of the Harvard Alumni Bulletin; and a member of the Harvard Fund Council and Class Agent of the Fund for the Class of 1901. To every one of these duties he gave his enthusiastic devotion, and each one of these organizations is stunned by his loss.

"Few Had So Many Friends"

"Few men had so many and such devoted friends. In College he was one of the most prominent and popular men of his time--a great athlete and always a leader--and the position which he had held in undergraduate days continued after graduation, not only in the Harvard circle but in the outside world. From a markedly successful business career he resigned to render valuable service to the country during and after the War, and, this concluded, he had since devoted his energies largely to the service of his University.

"His ever-present charm and vigor and enthusiasm endeared him to all.

"The members of the Harvard Fund Council feeling so deeply his loss, send their affectionate sympathy to his wife and children, to his Mother, to his brothers, and to his sisters in their over-whelming sorrow."

Among the business discussed was the question of the relation of the various Graduate Schools to the Fund, as well as that of the classes which are engaged in the process of raising their Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Gifts to the University. Under the present plan, the only appeal to the Graduate School alumni is made through the general literature sent out by the Council and through notices and articles in the Bulletin. This far there has been no attempt to solicit funds from those men through agents appointed for the purpose.

Bolton In Ohio Politics

Announcement was made at the meeting of the recent appointment by the presidents of the Associated Harvard Clubs and of the Harvard Alumni Association of Chester C. Bolton '05, of Cleveland, as a member of the Council to fill the vacancy caused by the death last August of C. Chauncey Stillman '98, of New York. Bolton, up to the beginning of the War, was associated with the Bourne. Fuller Company of Cleveland, in the manufacture and sale of steel and steel products. At the outbreak of the War, he went to Washington, first as secretary of the General Munitions Board, later of the War Industries Board, and subsequently as a member of the General Staff in Washington, and as Assistant Chief of Staff. In 1923, he was elected to the Ohio State Senate where he has served two consecutive terms. He was recently elected to a third, and during the coming session of 1927 will serve as Floor Leader. Since the War, he has been closely identified with the American Legion organization. At the time of the Harvard Endowment drive he was appointed a member of the committee representing the northeastern part of Ohio.

Among Stillman's many benefactions to Harvard is the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry, which he established in 1925, and of which Professor Gilbert Murray Regius Professor of Greek at Oxford University, England, was the first occupant.

On January 25, there will be a meeting of the Class Agents of the Harvard Fund at 7 o'clock, at the Harvard Club of Boston. This will be the first occasion, since the Fund was established, on which the Class Agents will meet as a group.