WITHIN THE CLOISTER

The fading of the Freshman trek to lower Widener and the clatter of dishes across the Charles announce the success of two recent innovations. Seats both in the newly opened libraries in McKinlock and the dining halls of the Business School are already at a premium. This is not in the least surprising as both projects were designed with a careful eye to the convenient and the aesthetic. Studying Freshmen are consoled by handsome woodwork, pots of geranium, and a spacious alcove with a fireplace. The business men's professional fatigue is more than soothed by the arts of the former culinary overlord at the American House. And these things are within the gates of the respective consumers.

By the addition of libraries and dining halls both the Freshman and the Business School Dormitories become more independent as units within the University. They are physically nearer the English colleges as they exist at Oxford and Cambridge and therefore in harmony with the suggestions, laid down in the Student Council Report of last Spring which expected the development of relatively small self-sufficient communities to provide better anchorage for individual members than the high seas of the University as a whole.