A SOLUTION

Practical light on the solution of the problem of primary elections, and their expense is now in prospect in a bill filed in the New Hampshire state legislature, which is reported likely to pass. The measure, backed by Republican leaders who should command a large majority in both houses, aims to climinate the evils of the primary system by a return to the old system of nomination in party convention, a step urged by Mr. Dawes for federal elections.

At first sight it might seem unwise to adopt unconditionally a system formerly discarded but the New Hampshire bill appears to be in reality an unusually far-sighted compromise between the two methods. It provides for party conventions whose nominations shall in ordinary cases take the place of expensive and possibly corrupt primaries, at the same time safoguarding the rights of the individual by making it possible for a candidate with sufficient support to appeal for a regular election, if dissatisfied with the decision of the convention of his party. It is foreseen that "appeal elections" will probably be demanded for the next few years, but it is felt that confidence in the choice of the party will gradually be established so that its decisions will be accepted. Moreover the bill contains what appear to be effective precautions against large expenditures in campaigns when elections are held.

If this measure passes, it looks as if a satisfactory solution of the problem of nominations would be found between the undue party influence of the old conventions and the extreme division of power made by the primary system that makes it difficult for an individual to gain merited recognition. The party will be able to look about for a suitable candidate, at the same time being checked by the constant possibility of a challenge at the polls. The net result should be the creation of party influence of a high standard, perhaps the most desirable single achievement that could be made in our government. If the Cheney Law, passes and is successful in New Hampshire, it is to be hoped that its principles will be adopted by the country at large.