BUSINESS SCHOOL EFFECTS CHANGE

Some Courses to Lengthen Time of Periods--Innoyation to Go Into Effect Next Term

The abolition of all Saturday classes, and the requirement of a written report only once in two weeks for first year courses, was announced by the Business School authorities last night. This came as a result of a meeting of the Faculty of the Graduate School of Business Administration held last Wednesday evening. The new plan is to go into operation this second half-year.

It is believed that the plan of omitting class work on Saturdays will meet the demand expressed by many students, not only for a vacant period specifically allocated to the preparation of reports, but also for more time to digest the material covered in the various courses and to pursue individual lines of inquiry and research.

Reduce Number of Reports

The plan of requiring a written report only once in two weeks means an absolute reduction in the number of reports required during the half-year. The Faculty hopes that the quality of reports will be improved under this schedule and that the report work will interfere lese with the daily class-room work. Heretofore the professors in charge of the first-year courses have noted that class preparation has suffered on days on which reports were due.

The length of class periods is to be accomodated to the requirements of the subjects. At present classes are one-hour in duration typically. Under the new, arrangement some classes will remain an hour in length, notably the ones on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The majority will, however, be lengthened. The Tuesday and Thursday classes will probably cover an hour and a half.

This has made possible the omission of classes on Saturday without reducing the number of class hours provided each week.

Saturdays will be left free for the students to prepare written reports, annotate notes, and review their courses.

The dates on which problems for written reports will be given to the students, and on which the reports will be due have been standardized. All such problems will be given to the students on alternate Friday afternoons after classes have closed, while the written reports will be due at six o'clock on Saturday of the following week. Reports, will thus be required only once every two weeks