RICH FELLOWSHIP OPEN TO SCHOLARS IN INDUSTRY FIELD

Holders of Fellowship Will Receive $4200 for Next Year--Must Present Record of Research

Applications for the Jacob Wertheim Research Fellowship for the Betterment of Industrial Relationships for 1927-1928 may now be sent to the Committee on the Fellowship.

Any man or woman who already has expert knowledge of plans for the betterment of industrial relations may file an application for candidacy before March 1. A university degree is not requisite for qualification, but it is not intended that the Fellowship shall be used to enable students, whether graduate or undergraduate, to complete their education.

Has $100,000 Endowment.

This Fellowship, estabished in 1923, had an endowment of $100,000, the gift of the family of the late Jacob Wertheim The donor stipulated that the income must be used "for the support of original research in the field of industrial cooperation." Its purpose is to enable persons who already have expert knowledge of plans for the betterment of industrial relations to pursue research that may be of general benefit in solving problems in this field.

The Committee consists of Professor E. W. Taussig '79 Henry Lee Professor of Economics, Professor M. T. Copeland '07, Professor of Marketing, and James Ford '05, Associate Professor of Social Ethics. It will be glad to receive an application from any person who believes he or she is qualified, and will also welcome suggestions as to eligible candidates from organizations for research, and from business or labor organizations which have had experience in this field. The Committee furthermore reserves the right to take the initiative in seeking out candidates. The Fellowship will be awarded by the President and the Fellows of Harvard University on the recommendation of the committee. Only one appointment will be made.

One Award Made

The award is for one year, but may be renewed for a second year, at the discretion of the Committee. The holder of the Fellowship for 1927-1928 will be appointed not earlier than May 15, 1927.

The holder will receive the sum of $4,200 for the year. A further sum, not exceeding $750, may be allotted for expenses necessitated by the research, such as travel. The remainder of the income of the endowment will be reserved for publication. Payments will be made in ten monthly installments of $350, a final payment being made upon the presentation of a completed manuscript giving the results of the research. The holder will be required to report periodically to the Committee concerning the progress of his research. Although registered in Harvard University as Research Fellow, he need not be in residence at the University.

Research to be Original

The investigation must rest on original research the data being secured chiefly at first hand, not from secondary sources.

There studies have already been begun under the Fellowship and are approaching publication. The first, by J. D. Hauser, is entitled "What the Employer Thinks;" the second, by William Haber, is on "Lobar Relations in the Building Industry; and the third, by F. P. Foisie '12, is a study of "Longshoring."

Candidates should apply to the Secretary of the Committee Professor Ford, Emerson Hall, for blank application forms. These must be in by March 1.