Harvard Vs. Princeton Again

Just as the recent Harvard Princeton break had disappeared from the front pages of the newspapers, one Mr., Wynani Hubbard takes it upon himself to rekindle the fires, thus putting inter collegiate football at present on an equal footing with professional baseball. If these two outstanding American colleges and their graduates do not have enough self interest to curb such wild statements by unauthorized persons they at least owe it to their fellow sportsmen in collegiate athletics to be more discreet.

With the over-sized doses of publicity which newspapers have seen fit to give certain phases of intercollegiate athletics the public is none too sympathetic. Such outbursts as that which appears in "Liberty" today is far from a decided benefit to the situation. Right now, the diplomatic thing for Princeton and Harvard to do is to politely ignore the charges that so indiscreet a person has impolitely made. Newspapers might show better judgement than they have and also let the matter quietly drop. As to why "Liberty" printed the article, there is but one conclusion.

In the question discussed, the tone in which the facts were presented precludes any possibility of their truth. At any rate, no similar complaints have been made public through the regular channels such as the officials and football conferences. Individuals sometimes play illegal football in the heat of excitement, but it is impossible to believe that a Princeton coach would go so far as to have his whole team use the methods listed. The great advanced notices given Mr. Hubbard's article suggest that it is another publicity stunt and so by now he is doubtless more than satisfied.

It is a sad thing that this unpleasant childish quarrel between Harvard and Princeton has not been allowed to cease. While official parties are not directly responsible for this newest utterance, it does show that they should exercise better supervision and keep such articles from print. From the outside, it seems that Princeton is being made he "goat" at the expense of Harvard. If there is a bit of truth in these clams, for the sake of decency, let it come out through the proper official spokesmen and thus settle the matter once and for all while it is fresh in the mind of the public.

Much more of this nonsense from those who purport to be their graduates and Harvard and Princeton will suffer a loss of public esteem. They are generally considered the leading American colleges, a rank from which some feel they have already fallen. They deserve better publicity than this affords them. Spectator hopes that since the matter has been dragged out on the carpet again. It will now be conclusively closed. True American intercollegiate sportsmanship demands this for its own self-respect. Columbia Spectator