MC DOUGALL LEAVES HARVARD FACULTY

Gives Rheumatism in Northern Climate as Cause of Resignation-Prominent in "Margery" Case

Dr. William McDougall, Professor of Psychology at the University, has resigned his position to accept a similar post on the faculty of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.

Professor McDougall is ranked among the foremost psychologists of the world. He obtained his degree of Master of Arts at Oxford and shortly afterwards became a member of the British. Society of Psychical Research. In 1898 he was made a reader in mental philosophy at Oxford, becoming a Fellow of Corpus Christ College.

Has Been Here Seven Years

Professor McDougall came to Harvard in 1920, when he became a professor in the department of Psychology. It was during his stay at the University that he became prominent in the public eye during the investigation of the "Margery" case, Professor McDougall was among those who undertook the investigation of Mrs. Crandon's mediumistic activities. He reported that he was not convinced that there was anything super-natural about her performance as a medium.

Author of Many Books

Professor McDougall is the author of several books of psychology, some of which are "Physiological Psychology", "Social Psychology", "Body and Mind", and "Group Minds." After extensive travels in Borneo, during which he made a detailed study of the native and their customs, he published a volume entitled "Pagan Tribes of Borneo". The last of his works which have been published are "Is America Safe for Democracy" and "Ethics and some Modern World Problems".

Professor McDougall is at present on his sabbatical leave travelling in Italy. In a letter recently received from him by the Boston Transcript, he says that the chief consideration that led him to make the change was the health of his wife and himself, which, he writes, will be improved in a warmer climate amid more quiet suroundings.