ANOTHER 47 WORKSHOP

The Phillips Brooks House Association with the cooperation of the University faculty on international law and politics, has launched what promised to be the most successful attempt yet made to bring out a representative and practical expression of opinion for the wealth of foreign students enrolled in the University. The Harvard International Council "a miniature League of Nations", will come into being tonight with auspicious formalities, when Professor Hudson addresses the gathering of representatives from forty-seven nations and dependencies. Such an event holds prospects fully as thrilling as a more combative meeting of twenty-two men on Soldiers Field.

Harvard has already been fortunate in having a great number of distinguished foreign members. They have come here unusually for one purpose-to study, and they have been allowed to go their own way in the normal manner of the average undergraduate. Some, perhaps, have felt a coldness in the traditional Cambridge absence of attention, but the majority have a probably been rather grateful for an atmosphere which minimizes curiosity and accepts one and all in the same spirit of cosmopolitanism. The foreign student wishes to step out of the tourist role, to lose his consciousness of nationality, to observe and take part without under comment.

But in the international symposium enterprise of the Phillips Brooke House, there is a valid excuse for a formal segregation of the foreign students from the entire group. This is not merely a social gathering at which differences of national feeling are extracted and exhibited to the wonder and amusement of the native sons. It can rather be a sincere expression of an intelligently heterogeneous group and as such a incalculable value to everyone concerned.