Strains of Jester's Piccolo to Feature Dedication of New Elm--Vesper Lanterns Guard Hallowed Hole

"Yes sir! It was murder in the first degree", declared Bob Lampoon, the incomparable jester, grand vizier and high lama at all of Lampy's festive functions. "When vandals slunk down under cover of a black and windy night and sever the life's blood of a tree, cherished by me for over three years, it is then time for the Cambridge Police to send in riot calls, and to deal death in the Brattle Square Police Station without the fruitless efforts of a trial."

The Lampoon's epigrammatist has been growing somewhat reflective of late but now that a new tree, an elm in fact, is going to be planted on the site of his old favorite, he is beginning to show signs of his erstwhile cheerfulness. The famous picalo, laid away in the dust of Lampy's attic for many months, will be played by Bob at the laying of the corner-root. "This ceremony will be the most impressive that has ever been conducted since John Harvard staked out his claim by the banks of the Charles," admitted the Lampoon wit who is in complete charge of the dedication. "The elm is some ten feet high and flourishes, I am told, somewhere in the wilds of South Boston. I have not seen it yet, but is is said to be a paragon among trees."

In the meantime, there is nought but a sordid hole in the sidewalk with a row of vesper lanterns being burnt as an offering to the soul of the departed and, as Bob remarked, looking at the upturned cage with its iron spikes, "to save the boys pants from being torn on Saturday nights."