SYMPHONY OPENS SANDERS SEASON THIS EVENING

Orchestra to Give First of Nine Concerts at 8 O'clock--Koussevitsky to Conduct

The Boston Symphony Orchestra will open its season of nine Thursday evening concerts in Sanders Theatre at 8 o'clock tonight. Conductor Serge Koussevitsky will repeat the program given at his opening concert in Symphony Hall last Friday evening.

This program will open with Berlioz' "Overture to 'Benvenuto Cellini'", and will continue with Brahms' "Symphony No. 3" and Debussy's "'Iberia': 'Images' for Orchestra No. 2", concluding with Stravinsky's "Orchestral Suite from the Ballet, 'Petrouchka'."

Quoting from H. T. Parker '89, music and dramatic critic of the "Transcript":

"So far as the program permitted, the orchestra confirmed its every virtue as a band of these nineteen-twenties made in the conductor's image. That is to say, it is an essentially ultra-modern orchestra, in which each choir sharpens its characteristics. From sweetness and light to sonorities and shadows the strings play intensively. The wood-winds are edged and pungent: the brass rich in the horns, piercing in the trumpets, full-throated elsewhere: the percussion for tang and tingle. Gone are the gentle instrumental voices, as they would now seem, that elderly subscribers recall from Gericke's time."