Company of Yale Undergraduates Bring Puppet Show to Boston Tonight--Jonah and the Whale Included in Program

A company of dolls will take the boards in Boston tonight to enact the Boston Symphony Orchestra at its busiest, Jonah and the Whale at the height of their disagreement with one another, willow trees which go democratic and grow bananas, and stories of Chinese mandarins and their lovely, distressed daughters.

The Yale Puppeteers will make their Boston bow at 8.15 o'clock tonight at the Elysium Club 218 Huntington Avenue. This company of Yale undergraduates spends its summers carrying itself and its stock of puppet actors and actresses around in Ford trucks, cruising from place to place in the New England states, giving entertainments at summer colonies. Performances similar in tone and appearance to Tony Sarg's Marionettes are given with a series of scenes of variety and humor. Miniature sketches of a full orchestra, with a nine inch Koussevitsky conducting, a tiny Paderewski playing a grand piano less than a foot above the floor, and the Old Testament, provide the student entertainers with their material.

A job, for instance, is done on Jonah and his Whale. Not only are these two principals shown in intimate discourse, but Mrs. Whale lends a feminine and domestic touch to the scene with a little marital argument in which the unfortunate Jonah is discussed as a Jonah to the cetaccan digestion, much like Mr. Kipling's mariner who made it uncomfortable for the whale's throat.

Included in the program is a Chinese fairy tale in which a willow tree goes out of its way to help a princess in distress. The tree bears one banana to appease the wrath of an angry mandarin, and die immediately after accomplishing its errand of mercy.