RANK LIST-GROUP FIVE

A recent issue of the American Magazine has conferred a new and unhackneyed honor upon a citizen of Iowa. He was neither the Best nor the Most in his class at college, nor has he in after life attained unusual success. He is, in brief the most average man in the United States: driving the average car, having the average number in his family, the average social affiliations, and the average views, apparently, on everything.

The census report, a map and a weather chart were used in picking his home, and the inhabitants of this most average of cities than selected their average citizen. One wonders what convulsions seized the place how lar the average men departed from their normaley, dressing themselves and their households in Indian costumes or resigning from all their lodges in order to avoid being singled out for national, and unaverage ame, and how one of their number was unkindly taken unawares.

One wonders also what this average magazine intends to do with its discovery whether he is to be preserved under class for posterity as The Man in the Street, or be released to his original obscurity. The latter would be more fitting: the average man, whatever, his virtues and fallings. Is not a subject for public praise or ridicule.