DARTMOUTH FOOTBALL TILTS ABOUND IN TEARS, CHEERS AND EXCITEMENT

CRIMSON LINE HOLDS DESTINY OF TODAY'S CONTEST

The following article on former Harvard-Dartmouth football games was written for the Crimson by M. A. Cheek '26, captain, of the University team In 1925 and now Graduate Secretary of the Phillips Brooks House.

Harvard renewed football relations with Dartmouth in 1922 after a break of 11 years. During that interval Harvard teams had reached a high peak of efficiency and reputation, and The Big Green teams had also fought their way to a top notch ranking, It was, then with anticipations of a hard-fought contest that the spectators filled the Stadium in 1922. Nor were they disappointed, for from start to finish the game was replete with thrills. With the score 6 to 3 in favor of Harvard, and only a few minutes to play, Dartmouth started a march into Harvard territory. A Dartmouth score seemed imminent when Percy Jenkins '24, breaking through on a passer, blocked the toss, and without slowing up caught the ball before it struck the ground and raced to a touchdown.

Every year since 1922 the Stadium has been filled, and every year the spectators have gotten their money's worth. In 1923, 1924, and 1925 it was at Harvard's expense. In 1923 a Dartmouth steam-roller crashed through Harvard's best to the tune of 16 to 0. In 1924 Dooley twice saved the day for Dartmouth when Harvards backs had broken through with several interferers ahead of them. In that game, Dartmouth capitalized a Harvard fumble for a touchdown, and Harvard fumble for a touchdown, and Harvard failed to capitalize opportunity after opportunity to lose by a 6 to 0 score.

In 1925 perhaps the greatest team Dartmouth ever had hesitated until Harvard had established a 3 to 0 lead in the first quarter, and then proceeded under a storm of forward passes from Oberlander to his fleet ends, Lally and Sage, to swamp the bewildered Crimson team by piling up 32 points. This game started Dartmouth off to a season which left it the only undefeated and untied team of the season. Last year A. E. French '29 dashed 48 yards in the last minute to a touchdown and victory to end one of the most exciting games ever played in the Stadium, a game in which each team alternated in leading the score.

To the spectator the Dartmouth game means an exciting spectacular contest. To the Harvard player it means a clean hard fought game in which sudden off tackle plays, and powerful end runs require herculean defensive efforts and in which the fear of long forward passes caught by fleet, sure fingered ends is ever present.

The game is always marked by certain characteristics. It is usually the first real test of the season for Dartmouth, and the first game on a strange field before a large crowd. Invariably this leads to a first period nervousness which should give Harvard a momentary advantage. Dartmouth's plays are always well executed and their backs are always a treat to watch. Ever dangerous is the Dartmouth quick play off tackle, and difficult to stop is the cut back end runs with four interferers, but most dangerous of all is the long forward pass. Every year, the Big Green team finds a back who can throw a ball 50 yards and at least one end who can stretch up his finger tips while on the dead run and take into them the flying pigskin. The Harvard line must tell the story, for once the passing game gets under way, touchdowns are never more than one play off. It is safe to say that if Dartmouth wins tomorrow, the play that will bring or lead up to the winning touchdown will be a forward pass over the half backs head