REPORT SHOWS ACTIVITY OF YALE GRADUATES IN BIG EDUCATIONAL FIELD

SURVEY STYLES UNIVERSITY AS "MOTHER OF COLLEGES"

"Mother of Colleges" is the title that Yale can rightly claim, according to a report based on a survey of the University's influence in American education." The survey dealt with the part that Yale men have played as presidents of colleges and universities, and as deans, professors, missionary educators, teachers, executives, and head masters.

More than 2,600 recipients of Yale degrees are engaged in educational work throughout the world, and of this number 30 are now college presidents.

"Justification of the name 'Mother of Colleges,' the report states, "is found in the fact that Yale men, either as founders or first presidents, sometimes as both, have made major contributions to the development of colleges and universities which now enroll more than 128,000 students yearly, and on whose faculties are to be found nearly 8,000 teachers. Of the 184 colleges and universities which rank highest among American institutions of higher learning, more than one-third at one time or another, have been presided over by men who have received Yale training.

"Yale was the first American university to introduce competitive scholarships to promote scientific agriculture, to confer the degree of doctor of philosophy, and its influence was felt early in the education of women."

The report then mentions Yale men who admitted both sexes to schools, who founded seminaries, and who were pioneers in co-education, such as A. P. Barnard, founder of Barnard college.