AN INTELLECTUAL ANNEX

A few years ago there was instituted in the Department of the Classics a series of informal discussions whose original purpose was "to provide a foundation both for further study in the classics and for the study of modern literature and civilization." The success of these meetings and the general interest which has been demonstrated towards them by those concentrating in that field has been but one more token of the increasing intimacy between students and their instructors, between those who learn and those whose business it is to teach. Compulsory for men taking certain introductory courses in Latin and Greek, these conferences have resulted not only in broadening the student's knowledge but also in maintaining a vital and healthy enthusiasm for his work.

The intent of these meetings which grouped together bear the name of "Introduction To Ancient Civilization" is well expressed in the syllabus issued by the Department: "it (the plan) is designed to form an organic whole, and to stimulate students not merely to acquire information but also to think about what they learn, and to see the relation between modern and ancient civilization."

This statement is worthy of consideration by other Departments. Fortunate are those who are enabled to see their respective fields as an "organic whole" before they have met the fusing force of Divisional. Perhaps tutorial work alone should satisfy all requirements in this respect, but it is a sad fact that in some cases the tutorial system, excellent though it is, has failed. Such an arrangement as that carried on in the Classics is not necessary or even advisable in all Fields, but none can ignore the stimulation, which the plan affords.