THE UNBENT TWIGS

In a survey recently taken of the Freshman class at Princeton it was disclosed that over two-thirds of the men were the sons of parents who had over gone to college. Although the report has been non-committally received by the newspapers of the country, receiving no where near so much space as the announcement that the doctrines of Judge Ben D. Lindsey may no longer appear in the papers of several western colleges, the facts seem to be educationally very significant.

As a refutation of the idea that college bred people are the only ones who build blood of leadership caliber the figures are reassuring. There was great wailing in the halls of sociology not long ago when it was discovered that Harvard and Yale and Radcliffe and Wellesley were only doing their duty by posterity to the tune of a fractional offspring. The as gumption was made that the best blood of the country, meaning the figures who would be the leaders of a generation hence, would come almost exclusively from college ranks.

An inclination has grown up among students to divide all the world into those who belong and those who do not, and to make the line of demarcation a college degree. To have taken isolated examples from the ranks of the magnates who write for the American Magazine would have proved as little as over, but the knowledge that two-thirds of those who enter college have come from homes that never knew the framed degree is soothing balm to the knowledge that Bryn Mawr's best is 1.8 children per graduate.