THE CRITICAL PERIOD

The suggestion offered by Professor Tatlock--that tutorial assistance continue on through the Reading Periods opens a field for discussion. It is fair to say that up to this time the proposed cessation of upper-class course meetings has been looked upon by the majority of students with more or less optimistic, and unknowing, docility. Now, however, when professors and instructors are beginning to portion out generous assignments of reading and to utter vague hints concerning the ultimate examination on that reading, the three weeks following the Christmas Holidays assume a more severe and on the whole a more normal aspect. As has been said before, and as will be said until experience has proved the truth of the statement, Respite is not, in this case, synonymous with Relaxation.

In separating the student from tutorial guidance during the Reading Period the University is doubtless placing a great amount of trust in undergraduate ability. That trust is not without foundation; this particular demonstration of it, nevertheless, appears at the present time likely to fallacy. If ever there were a time when the student should have the benefit of his tutor's advice it is during this coming period. Tutorial conferences need not entail tutorial reading in these three weeks--course reading will be sufficiently large to occupy the student; tutorial conferences do, however, offer opportunities wherein the student may approach his tutor for advice on his own attack on these periods. Obviously if the tutor directs in wholesale fashion the undergraduate's reading and checks up on him to see that he does that reading one of the chief raisons d'etre of the whole plan will be destroyed. Two conferences during the three weeks, however, would make this possibility unlikely; both tutor and tutee are well aware of the principles of self reliance which underlie the whole proposal.

It has been pointed out that the Reading Periods constitute a rest for tutors as well as instructors. Professor Tatlock's plan of a previous tutorial vacation would obviate this objection. And even without that provision an optional conference with one's tutor would not burden him with even half the usual labor of the routine months. He would still enjoy a comparatively free time for research. The wary will recommend that the student, about to enter an ordeal of fire, be allowed at least a certain sanctuary where he may find, not necessarily reenforcements, but encouragement and warning. As the plan now stands students may be granted tutorial aid in some cases, but the general tendency is in the opposite direction. Should each individual receive satisfactory guidance all will be well; on the other hand if the spirit of rigorous independence rules absolute, the casualties will increase.