THIS WALK-A-DAY WORLD

Statistics are always refreshing, for when conscientiously applied they cannot fail to shed a new light upon the most commonplace things. When chewing gum has fulfilled all its natural and unnatural functions, it may always be laid end to end and may be made to stretch as far as desirable. Cosmetics represent a fraction of the world's wealth, and cigarettes are statistically valuable as potential poisons. There is comfort in such realizations when the ordinary use of things palls, so that it may not be for nothing that statistics have lately been applied to pedestrians waiting for traffic signals in Times Square in New York. It has been computed that 100,000 days are lost at that point every year, the suggested remedy being an underground passage between Times Square and the Grand Central Station.

Whether or not New York City between Times Square and the Grand Central will lend itself readily to being dug up for such a worthy cause, the statistics offered in the case can do nothing but good. While it might be difficult for each waiting pedestrian to recognize which portion of the 100,000 days is his contribution, he can still be comforted that he is doing his part to make pedestrians into a leisure class. There should be comfort in the thought for the opportunity to have 100,000 days a year to waste is not one that falls on many classes, even the most privileged.

The beauty of statistics lies in the fact that nothing has to be done about them. They are sufficient as they stand . . . . They also serve who only stand--and wait.