EXPLAINS CHIEF POINTS OF RADIO CONFERENCE

MET TO DEFINE RADIO RIGHTS OF NATIONS REPRESENTED

The salient features of the International Radio-Telegraph Conference, held in Washington from October 4 until last Saturday, were given to a CRIMSON reporter last night by Professor A.E. Kennelly, Hon, '06, of the Engineering School, who was a delegate to the conference.

Herbert Hoover, Secretary of Commerce, presided at the conference, and delegates from 55 nations and 20 dependencies, representing 30 languages, were present at the deliberations. Professor Kennelly stated that this is believed to be the largest number of governments ever represented in an international conference.

"Briefly stated," Professor Kennelly said, "the purpose of the conference was to define the sovereign radio rights of the nations represented, and to agree upon a schedule of wave lengths such that no nation would interfere with the radio operations of any other power."

The wave lengths were allotted internationally by services all over the world, from the maximum length of 30 kilometers down to the minimum length of five meters. The allotment was not made to individual stations, but to services, such as point-to-point fixed station service, mobile service, including ships, aircraft, and vehicles of all kinds, broadcasting, and miscellaneous other services.