P.S....

A changed policy among colleges with regard to the placing of graduates would seem to be the most obvious implication of the report sent by Albert C. Crawford, director of the Yale Burean of Appointments, to President Angell. An unscrupulous victimization of college men, which has not been confined to Yale, has made it "necessary in some degree to select the firms to whom interview privileges are extended and to refuse to companies unwilling to plan shead or to furnish in advance adequate data concerning their opportunities".

Such a scheme can meet with nothing but the wholehearted approval of students. It is difficult to see why any company of worth should decline to furnish such information. In entering into contracts without it, as they have frequently been obliged to do in the past, graduates have exposed themselves to everyone, from the merchant who wants college men in permanently clerical positions to the fly-by-night promoter. Although at Harvard such advances have never becomes the nuisance they seems to be at Yale, where, according to Mr. Crawford, the rap at the door disturbs April as well as September evenings, the principle of protection seems to be ripe for application in almost every college.

"Popular tradition considerably exagerates the young graduate's self-esteem", says Mr. Crawford, "but such cockiness may be in no small degree, attributed to the attitude of prospective employers". Commencement issues of the Lampoon notwithstanding, the graduate has never failed to recognize that the importance of the words, "baccalaureate" and "job" is in inverse proportion to their length. He has at last the foundation of a plan by which the success of his life may be less frequently jeopardized.