Wadsworth House Figures Show Squash Is Most Popular Freshman Winter Sport--Crew and Exercises Rank Next

With the fall activities of the Freshman Physical Training Course well in the background, winter sports began recently with squash leading the field, a total of 170 first year men having signed up at Wadsworth House for this form of practice, it was announced last night by C. B. Yan Wyck, Secretary to the Department of Physical Education. Next in popularity among the Freshmen is winter crew, 107 men electing to row during the winter months. Special corrective exercises drew the next largest number of students, 104 being enrolled in this class. Every first year man who failed to get higher than D in his physical examination at the opening of the college year was forced to take this type if exercise. As soon as these men have brought up their grade to a C or higher, the instructor, N. W. Fradd, will allow them to elect their own favorite sport or form of exercise.

The forms of exercise and the number of men electing them are listed as follows: squash 170, crew 107, special corrective exercises 104, track 70, basketball 69, swimming 54, hockey 53, boxing 50, fencing 46, handball 44, wrestling 39, hiking 23, gymnasium class 9, specials 8, and polo 6.

During the Christmas Recess all the buildings used for athletics will be open from 9 until 6 o'clock, except on December 25 and 26, and January 1 and 2, Van Wyck announced.