GLINT OF GOLD LURES UNIVERSITY WRITERS

Bowdoin Prize Essay Competition Offers Considerable Reward--Is Open To Undergraduates

The Bowdoin Prize Competition, open to all resident students of the University, for dissertations in English, Greek and Latin was announced recently by Professor G. H. Maynadier '89 and Professor C. R. Post '04. The prizes are made up from the income of the request of Governor James Bowdoin who graduated from the University in 1745 and increased by G. S. Bowdoin. It offers nine prizes, five of these being for undergraduates who do not hold an academic degree or have not fulfilled the requirements therefor, and also for other candidates of A. B. or S. B. in the University. The first prizes for this group is $250. There are two second prizes of $100 each. The essay may be on any topic subject to the approval of Professor Maynadier.

For holders of degrees three prizes of $200 each are offered. For the year of 1927-1928 one of these prizes will be offered for an essay on any subject in each of the following groups: including English, Fine Arts, or Music: History, Government, Economics, or Business Administration: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry or Engineering.

Undergraduates who wish to write a dissertation in Greek may band in a translation of a part of Acton's "History of Freedom" into Attic Greek and for those writing in Latin a translation into that language of a portion of Gibbon's "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" is required. A prize of $50 for the best of each of these translations will be awarded. Holders of degrees must write an original essay in either Latin or Greek on any subject chosen by the competitor. The best essay will receive $100.