Veteran Harvard Boat Builder Relates Achievements of Last 30 Years--Fashioned First Cedar Shell in America

"For 30 years I've built shells for the University," said old Bill Lutz to a Crimson reporter yesterday as he stepped back and eyed the graceful lines of a new "light" taking shape under his skilled hands. Bill has long been an institution to Harvard rowing men who have raced up and down the Charles in his crafts.

"I built the first cedar shell in America," continued Bill modestly. "It was the boat in which Harvard rowed against Yale in the first regatta between the two Universities. That was about 40 years back, in a little shop near the old Harvard Boathouse before I worked for the College. Those were the days of great races, when the crews used to pose for their pictures with a bunch of daisies in the coxwain's hands.

"Old Number 15 is one of the greatest shells I have ever built. It was in its prime when the Crimson took it to England and captured the Challenge Cup in the great Hanley Race from some of the greatest crews in England. The 150 pound crew have been using it for the last three years. It staged a proud comeback year before last when they defeated Yale in it. This boat I'm working on now is on the lines of the old Number 15, and will be as fast. It will probably be initiated by the University Crew this spring."

Bill Lutz has a master's affection for the shells which he makes in the workshop in the Weld Boathouse across the river. "I'm turning out three craft this year," he said. "Two new 'lights' took to the water this fall, and the Number 15 model will be ready in the spring. I usually only make two shells a year. A good boat will last about 16 years. Then sometimes we give them to Prep schools before they are that old."