MILLER TRIUMPHS IN MILLROSE DASH

O'Neil Falls on Last Lap and Maryland Gallops to Victory--Haggerty Is Third in 1000

New York, N. Y., February 2--A. H. Miller '27 led one of the strongest fields of sprinters ever gathered at a single meet here tonight, when he won the 50 yard dash in the Millrose A. A. games. The big Harvard sprinter was in top form. In the final heat he was trailed in order by Hussey of Boston College, McAllister of New York, known as the "Flying Cop" and Morrill of Boston, University. The last named sprinter had previously beaten the famous Loren Murchison in a 40 yard heat. In the final he was twice penalized for false starts. Miller's time was 5 three-fifths seconds.

In the relay race Maryland won in hollow fashion from the Crimson quartet. For three-quarters of the mile distance the Harvard runners held their own with the southerners, but on the last lap, while running a nip-and-tuck race and making a strong bid for victory, O'Neil, the Crimson anchor man, tripped and fell. The fourth Maryland flier aped on to an easy win.

In the heat of the dash, running over the 60 yard distance, Miller had led a fast field of sprinters to the tape in 6 2-5 seconds. Close on his heels came McAllister. Russell, former Cornell leader, trailed.

Burns and Lundell, Harvard sprinters entered in the dash, did not make the trip to New York on account of slight injuries.

In the 1000 yard run, Captain Haggerty was defeated by Ray Dodge of the Illinois A. C. in a very fast race, Dodge breaking the tape in 2 minutes 17 3-5 seconds. Sullivan of Boston College finished in second place, with Haggerty crossing the line third.

In the pole vault, the Crimson entrants, Clark and Burbank, failed to place, but they were up against highly unusual competition. The vault was won by Harrington of the B. A. A., who broke the meet record with a leap of 13 feet and fiveeighths of an inch. Myers, formerly of Dartmouth, and Sherrill of Pennsylvania, also cleared more than twelve feet.