ENGINEERING SCHOOL PROFESSOR LAUDS "P. R."

SAYS IDEA DATES BACK TO JOHN STUART MILL

"Better representative government can be had by ensuring that, in each policy-determining body, first each course of like minded voters has direct representation of its own choice; second, that each group has a number of representatives proportional to its own size; and finally, that the representatives of each group shall be those actually most acceptable to that whole group," Professor L. J. Johnson '87 of the Harvard Engineering School told a Crimson reporter yesterday.

"All this can be accomplished by the use of the system of nominating and voting known as Proportional Representation by the single transferable vote, or, for short, in this country, P. R." continued Professor Johnson who is a member of the Proportional Representative League in connection with such men as Ex-governor Robert P. Bass '96 of Massachusetts, Arthur N. Holcombe '06, professor of government in the University, and Senator George Wharton Pepper of Massachusetts.

"P. R." Applicable Anywhere

"Proportional Representation," Professor Johnson explained, "is applicaple in the government of any body of individuals, from social, commercial and labor organizations to college classes and to cities, states, and nations. It has long been advocated by sincere well-wishers of popular representative government, notably John Stuart Mill, who was fully aware to its value 60 or 70 years ago. It found acceptance first in other English speaking countries, notably Australia. What has stood most seriously in its path in this country has been the fear that, in spite of the actual simplicity of the voting, it would look too complicated to American voters. This fear has been dispelled by actual experience. Spreading from smaller cities, the great city of Cleveland with an 800,000 population adopted it in 1921 by direct populate vote as a basic feature of a new city charter. In 1924, Cincinnatti followed Cleveland's lead. In 1926 Hamilton, Ohio, did likewise. It is now in use in Ireland for choosing the members of the national parliament at Dublin, and also of the parliament of North Ireland.

Proportional Vote More Equitable

"Proportional Representation is better than our present system of choosing representatives for numerous reasons. It is fairer; all considerable groups of voters, minorities as well as the majority, are sure of representation of their own choosing and proportionate to their numbers. It is better suited to bring the ablest citizens into public life. Again, it can ensure that the majority, as well as all other groups, shall be represented only by its ablest members and those most acceptable to the whole body of each such group.

"'P. R.' promotes good-feeling about public matters, for all elements then know that they have the best possible hearing and protection. Besides, it gives a better outlook for orderly, well-reasoned progress. It is better suited to developing and advancing real leaders in public affairs, rather than mere successful office-seekers. It better safeguards majority rule because the majority on any question is made up of aggregated minorities and all considerable minorities must be represented if the majorities to which they belong are to have their rightful control. It also gives better assurance that decisions will rest upon correct information and open minded discussions."

Gives Voters Protection

"Finally," concluded Professor Johnson, "it makes it easier for the voters to protect their government from undue influence by unscrupulous or over zealous minorities from degenerating into petty strife for personal or factional advantage, and to hold it consistently loyal to the general welfare. Proportional Representation makes the ballot of greater value and interest to the voter, practically every vote helping to elect somebody in every council or legislature. It does away with the primary, not by taking a backward step, but by going forward to something better and more efficient.