YALE WILL MODIFY REGULATIONS FOR ADMISSION IN '27

Hope to Cut First Year Failures--No Autumn Examinations for Final Candidates

New Haven, Conn., February 3;--

Modifications in the regulation governing admission to Yale University have been made by the Board of Admissions, it became known here today, when the report of Professor Robert N. Corwin, chairman of the Board, to President James R. Angell and the Corporation was made public.

One change, the Scholastic Aptitude Test, already has gone into effect, and will be required of each final candidate for admission to the Freshman class.

"It is not intended," Professor Corwin says, "that this test shall supercede any of the present means of judging preparedness for college work. Its use will be tentative at first, and until experience has shown its proper function: How much and what aid it will give to the examiner is still problematical.

Fitness Tests Reasonable

"The tests for fitness now employed by the Yale examiners give a reasonably secure basis for selection. About eight men in a hundred drop out of college during Freshman year by reason of poor scholarship. A considerable proportion of these failures is due to financial or other hardship and not to incapacity. In Yale College, the wastage for all causes for the whole period covered by the Alumni Directory is but 12.9 per cent through the year 1917, and but 16.2 per cent with the war period included.

"The constantly increasing number of applicants for admission to college and the evident waste resulting from student failures have emphasized, however, the necessity of wise selection. If better means can be discovered, or more accurate methods devised, they will be used in the selection of Yale students. In the meantime Yale will participate in the nation-wide study of these new aptitude tests."

No Conditional Admittance

The Board of Admissions has decided to discontinue the practice of imposing admission conditions. Any significance or value which these may once have had, Professor Corwin says, has ceased to exist as far as concerns admission to the Undergraduate Schools of the University, since all students now admitted have given adequate fitness for college work.

Beginning with the Freshman class entering college in September, 1927, the class list will be prepared on the completion of the June session of the College Entrance Board Examinations. Final candidates will not be allowed to take the September examinations. The September session will be retained, however, for preliminary applicants.

Boy is Father of the Man

"The educational reasons for this move are no doubt obvious to all not personally involved. In the long run its advantages to the apllicant and to the secondary schools will be evident. The applicant's record will be considered complete at the end of his four-year preparatory course and of the College Entrance Examination Board examinations based upon this course. The examiner needs no further evidence of fitness beyond the school record as tested by written examinations and confirmed by the confidential report of principal or headmaster. The boy is the father of the man, in college as well as in other fields of endeavor. He should be encouraged to prove his preparedness for college by work in regular course rather than by summer tutoring, for there is serious question of whether a few weeks of hurried summer study better equips a boy for college work.