H. D. C. TO START SEASON TONIGHT

Various Department Heads to Outline Required Work--Sahara Dance is to be Held Wednesday

Spring competitions of the Dramatic Club will start at an open meeting in the Faculty Room of the Union at 7.30 o'clock tonight. Andre Charlot, originator of Charlot's Revue, and Professor Arthur Pope '01, Professor of Fine Arts in the University, will speak at the meeting.

Ande Charlot, producer of Charlot's Revue, now playing in Boston, has consented to give a short talk on the producing of musical comedies. Mr. Charlot had attained great success in London by his spectacular revues, but, realizing that the heart of this type of show was some small detail of the whole piece, such as a single song hit or clever monologue, he sought to develop a new form of light entertainment which would be a combination of light opera and the now prevailing vaudeville type of revue. Peculiarly this has been the field of drama that the Dramatic Club has exploited in "The Makropoulos Secret," "Paraclete," and "The Orange Comedy." Because of this similarity of endeavor, the club sought to have him explain his experiences along this line. He will talk briefly on his work and then conduct an informal forum to discuss this or any other part of the drama.

Professor Pope will give a brief history of the club and outline its activities. He has long been associated with the work of the Dramatic Club, as a member of the Advisory Committee. Professor Pope has helped choose its plays and design the sets.

Competitions will be opened in all departments but acting. Trials have al- ready been held for parts in the spring production, "The Taming of the Shrew", but the cast has not yet been definitely picked. Announcement of the chorus will be made on the return from New York of the coach, Edward Massey '15.

The work of candidates for the Dramatic Club corresponds to that done by the various managers of a professional company. The heads of the various departments will outline definitely the work that their candidates will undertake, so that anyone wishing to enter a competition will understand what he will be expected to do.

Candidates may attend the Dramatic Club dance which will be held on Wednesday from 10 to 2 o'clock at the Sahara. The officers of the club hope that they will take advantage of this invitation, so that they may meet the members of other departments but their own. Reservations may be made immediately after the open meeting.ANDRE CHARLOT