DRAMATIC ASPIRANTS START ON SPRING WORK

SHAKESPEARE TODAY WOULD WRITE REVUES HE SAYS

"Were he living today, Shakespeare would surely have written and produced revues," said Andre Charlot, originator of the Charlot Revue, in his speech last night at the opening meeting of the Dramatic Club in the Union.

"He tried all the other forms of the drama even low comedy, the counterpart of modern musical comedy." Nor is Shakespeare in modern dress anything novel, for the playwrights of today in many cases merely change the lines of his works, and label them as new productions.

Mr. Charlot said that any act in revue, no matter how good the script is valueless without an actor whose personality will put it across. There are two kinds of shows, one that is played to a passive audience, and another that demands its hearers to meet it half way. The former type is passing, because it serves no purpose and has no effect on the audience, but give it idle pleasure.

Professor Arthur Pope '01, Professor of Fine Arts in the University, spoke on the history of the Dramatic Club. He pointed out that every production it has gives in recent years has been either its first performance in America or has exploited a new theatrical field. "The Taming of the Shrew," presented with modernized dress and action, is the latest and most novel thing it has done. Without doubt, he said the experiment will be carefully watched by producers, seeking a new from of theatrical entertainment.

Sixty candidates entered the spring competition of the Club, trying out in all departments but acting. Short speeches were made by the heads of departments; in order to give the men an idea of what they will be expected to do.

Kingsley Perry '28, president of the Dramatic Club, spoke about this year's production. He outlined what will be done in transforming a tradition-bound costume play to an up-to-date show.